Friday, November 2, 2012

Thoughts on Razorback...

So I was about to post my entry form for Razorback & was really reading the rules terms & conditions for once. And for once certain phrases mentioned in the registration form started sinking in - 'a totally self-supported run' - ie. with very minimal assistance, aid stations, drink stations, not a race, no finishing medals etc. and then it mentioned that people should get medical insurance of their own covering incidents on the highlands.. and it got me really thinking. 1) What exactly is the entry fee of $50 is really for 2) What is the difference between this event & a self-organised run?

Then I started reading up on forums of past events, and while it is mostly full of enthusiastic participants talking about preparations & target times - there weren't many post-event thoughts or follow-ups on some concerns raised on how to make this run bit more beginner-friendly. Which I guess after a while, after reading the forums & all, left me thinking, that perhaps there isn't any intention to make it so.. well it's not too apparent anyway. Here are some points raised by participants:



Paying the entry fee of $50 is not the real concern. I'm just more concerned about basic features of races I've come to expect, and this sum of money doesn't seem to be going towards anything, not even basic medical facilities, no calls for volunteers etc. except maybe water at the start/end point. So really it sounds like it's just a big social gathering for all/pros who likes to run purist-style, and as for beginners - well, it's kinda saying to them to come check it out but very heavyhearted-ly.

So to be honest I'm having 2nd thoughts of joining this race. But all is not lost, I will most likely check out the region on my own, at my own pace, do my photography & not as part of this race. After all, it will be hard for me to part of the social aspect of it given I really won't be staying back another night & intend to go back to Melbourne on the evening itself.

Hmm.. but yea, just wanted to share these findings & thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment